Metal amalgam fillings have been the standard cavity treatment for decades. Although metal fillings protect teeth well enough, they come with several disadvantages. For example, the material expands and contracts with temperature changes, which can heighten your risk of tooth fracture. Over time, metal fillings can also loosen – allowing tooth decay to reach beneath the surface, or sometimes causing the filling to fall out entirely. Additionally, metal fillings can permanently stain your teeth.
At our practice, we use white composite fillings to help you avoid all of the problems listed above. White fillings are made of a dental composite material that bonds firmly to your teeth for the best protection possible. Some of the benefits of white composite fillings include:
- Better preservation of your natural tooth enamel
- Will not expand or contract with temperature changes
- Decreased tooth sensitivity
- Superior bond to the tooth
- Tinted to match the color of your teeth
If you are frustrated with the unsightly appearance of your old silver or metal amalgam fillings, we can help you safely remove them and fully restore your teeth with white composite fillings.
To schedule an appointment, please contact The Dentists at Hillsborough, Ralston Square, and Village Pointe today. We serve patients throughout Omaha, Nebraska.
Porcelain veneers are designed to be durable and long-lasting. Most patients end up replacing their veneers after about 15 years, but your restorations can potentially last much longer if you take excellent care of them.
Keeping up with your bi-annual cleanings and exams is one of the best ways you can ensure your porcelain veneers stay in good shape. Our dentists will carefully examine your veneers whenever you visit to make sure they are still strongly bonded and functioning correctly. However, your at-home care routine will play an equally vital role.
In order to properly care for your porcelain veneers, you should:
- Brush at least twice a day – Maintaining good dental hygiene will help prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental health problems that can compromise your veneers. Our dentists will recommend a non-abrasive toothpaste to protect your veneers and other tooth restorations.
- Floss at least once a day – The edges of your teeth, where the veneers meet the natural enamel, can become susceptible to decay if you do not floss regularly.
- Avoid damaging habits – Biting your fingernails and chewing ice can damage even your natural teeth if you’re not careful. Avoid these habits to protect your veneers.
- Wear a mouthguard (for bruxism) – If you grind your teeth at night, this can damage your porcelain veneers and wear down your natural teeth. We can fit you with a custom mouthguard to wear while you sleep to protect your veneers.
If you have further questions about porcelain veneers, please contact The Dentists at Hillsborough, Ralston Square, and Village Pointe to schedule an appointment. We serve patients throughout Omaha, Nebraska.