Do you have tooth pain that is becoming more and more noticeable? If so, it may be the result of an infection. Infected teeth are usually caused by tooth decay deep in the tooth or gum. If you are suffering from an infected tooth, treatment is necessary to stop the spread of the infection and to completely get rid of the infection. Without treatment, infection will continue to get worse and will eventually need immediate intervention.
One of the most common methods of treating severe tooth infections and decay is with a root canal. Root canals are endodontic procedures that are often completed in two visits. At the first visit, you will be numbed and as much of the infection as possible will be removed from the infected tooth and surrounding gums. Once the majority of infection is removed, a temporary filling will be used to help protect the tooth. At the second visit, the rest of the infection will be completely removed and a sealant will be applied to stop any future infections and to completely heal the infected tooth.
Additionally, root canals have many benefits, such as:
- The ability for more natural tooth preservation
- Being more cost effective than other treatment options
- Being a less invasive procedure than dental implants or dental crowns
- Increased comfort during treatment because tooth extraction isn’t required
- The ability to alleviate the discomfort and pain that an infected tooth may be causing
If you are suffering from tooth pain due to an infected tooth, please contact The Dentists at Hillsborough today at 402.445.4647 for a consultation with one of our Omaha root canal dentists.